Old 20-11-2008, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Common tree problems

"SYMPLASTLESS222" wrote in message
. ..
PPD is very active. People Pressure Diseases.

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
and
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
Watch out for so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology.
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, tornado's, volcanic eruptions and
other abiotic forces keep reminding humans that they are not the boss.

Brings up something I've been looking into. Living in zone 8A. This spring
had decent rain followed by practically none. Extreme drought.

Live oaks rhizomes are producing large amounts of shoots with leaves
evidenced throughout the area. Found one paper (1987, Texas) that indicated
how to take shoots from live oaks and place in planters for planting a year
or 2 later to their permanent site. They discovered over the 10 year
observation that acorn originated tree produced shoots from roots
(rhizomes), the shoot from rhizome originated trees had no evidence of this,
both planted at same site. Thought that was interesting.

Anyway, I looked into origins of oak wilt. The predominant theory is that
its fungus in nature attacking exposed roots. Oak wilt seems to be
contagious in some manner spreading from tree to tree. The rhizosphere
weblink you provided seems to indicate that fungus is natural in the war
between roots and microorganisims. At this point, I'm concerned about
taking shoots from live oak roots and possibly creating an enviroment for
oak wilt. Should I pursue this further, or drop the idea entirely?
--
Dave