Old 22-11-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Savage Richard Savage is offline

Default What ground preparation is required prior to re-planting a hedge?

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

I think you've supplied enough info - and maybe ten times more than many
new posters.

Welcome to a new Urgler.

It rather depends on whether you want a quick-growing hedge that will
grow into a skinny belt of trees, or whether you are going to maintain
it as a hedge.

If you want vigorous growth, you'll need to improve the soil with humus
of some sort, and with a fertiliser, for instance, bonemeal, or bone,
blood and fish.

Bonemeal by itself should be incorporated with the soil at the bottom of
the trench/individual pit before planting, bone, blood and fish is
better (IMO) higher - amongst the roots and just beneath them.

Keep the roots well-supplied with water for the first year at least. You
may need to protect the whips from rabbits (and maybe, deer), and
forestry suppliers sell coils of plastic trunk-protector, but if you are
troubled by deer, you might benefit from an electric fence and its
associated sheep-netting.

Thank you.

My desire is for a quick growing replacement hedge in the back garden
(next to the fence) that I can maintain at about 7' high.

I'd better do a bit of soil prep!

Our only visitors are foxes and birds.

It occurred to me after submitting the original post that I have
pictures of the area in question. I have now placed them he

http://richard2808.fotopic.net/c1614723.html

Rgds

Richard