Old 22-11-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek[_4_] Derek[_4_] is offline

Default Oyster and shiitake mushrooms?

"Paul" wrote in message
HI
We have a very shaded part at the back of our allotment, not much will
grow, so we are thinking of try to grow oyster and shiitake mushrooms. Has
anyone in the group tried this? What type of dead wood is best eg oak. We
have some 2-year-old apple trunks quietly rotting away, would they be any
good?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Paul.
--
Paul reply-to is valid

I am trying some Pearl Oyster on Straw at the moment (reminds me time to
cover them before the snow) I tried apple last time with no luck according
to the packet poplar and willow are good choices tho' any broadleaf is
possible. You have to remember though rotting wood is likely to already have
fungus growing - pull a strip of bark and look for mycellium so adding
another is not going to be as sucessful.
http://www.mycowest.org/cult/i-grow/growfoto.htm good luck I checked my lot
and the mycellium are establishing after a month.

Derek