Old 22-11-2008, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete Stockdale Pete Stockdale is offline

Default What ground preparation is required prior to re-planting a hedge?

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
Rusty_Hinge wrote:

Thank you.

My desire is for a quick growing replacement hedge in the back garden
(next to the fence) that I can maintain at about 7' high.

I'd better do a bit of soil prep!

Our only visitors are foxes and birds.

It occurred to me after submitting the original post that I have pictures
of the area in question. I have now placed them he

http://richard2808.fotopic.net/c1614723.html

Rusty forgets the old adage - one picture tells a story better than a
thousand words !
Your hedge idea is presumably to combat your view of the new fence.
Why not live with its benefits and use it to grow climbers and creepers
instead.
They will produce "greener" benefits far better and quicker.
than any freestanding hedge that will struggle in this position.
BTW - I would also be considering the future of the conifers that remain.
Perhaps your hedging whips would be better employed at the bottom of your
garden !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com