Old 23-11-2008, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Savage Richard Savage is offline

Default What ground preparation is required prior to re-planting a hedge?

Janet Conroy wrote:
The Free Tree Scheme sounds interesting - I must Google it.

Ours was run by Kent Free Trees Scheme. Not much info in the booklet.
There might be some he www.nwkent-countryside.org.uk Or call Kent
County Council on 08458 247 600

The grindings from the stumps should be well-rotted by now and will
have put some goodness into the ground, but I agree with Rusty on
prep.
The other problem with new hedges is weeding, where you can damage the
roots of the whips when they are young. If the ground is weed-free I'd
consider a weed-suppressing membrane and planting the whips thro it and
then mulching with bark chips or something to cover it up.
It you click on the "hedge" tag at the top of the page there are lots
of posts which might be useful.

Yep I'll be planting through black plastic or similar.

Richard