Old 23-11-2008, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeanne Stockdale Jeanne Stockdale is offline

Default What ground preparation is required prior to re-planting a hedge?

"Richard Savage" wrote in message
Why not live with its benefits and use it to grow climbers and creepers
instead.
They will produce "greener" benefits far better and quicker.
than any freestanding hedge that will struggle in this position.

In the short term we may plant Honeysuckle/Golden Hop/suggestions? to
cover the top of the fence

BTW - I would also be considering the future of the conifers that remain.

Strange as it might seem I rather like the huge conifers!

Perhaps your hedging whips would be better employed at the bottom of your
garden !

Of the four you can see in the photo entitled ....'May_2006'; counting
from the left: the two on the left are mine with the second at the point
where the new fence and the hedge across the end of the garden meet.
Numbers 3 and 4 belong to my neighbour.

I would have thought that these obstructed what appears to be a nice view-
can't see it all though from your photos though.
I am not qualified enough to suggest "fence loving" plants.
Apart from the Scots pine - conifers shoud be banned to forests.IMHO !
Hopefully some plantsperson will come along shortly to advise on some plants
that will like your fence.

Regards

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com