Old 23-11-2008, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default What ground preparation is required prior to re-planting a hedge?

The message
from " Jeanne Stockdale" contains these words:
"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
k...

Nonsense! On my smallholding I had freestanding hedges. Thye location
was on a ridge, and there was no higher land than my elevation between
me and the Urals.

I do not doubt that at all but I doubt that they were competing at birth
with a fence of this magnitude.
Now if the fence could be replaced with a light permeable stock type fence
then things would be far more possible.

Again - nonsense!

A fence is little or no competition - indeed, it will shelter the whips
on whichever side of it they are planted. The whips will reach for the
sun, and the only problem I can see is that foliage will be sparser
lower down the hedge.

Maybe the best plan would be to allow the hedge to become established
and then either remove the fence, or cut it down a bit. (Always assuming
it's the OP's fence, of course.)

Your stock-type fence would be ideal, of course, but not imperative.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig