Old 23-11-2008, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Asparagus bedfellows

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:55:52 +0000, Gopher wrote:

We're looking forward to next year's asparagus. The bed (raised) will
have been in place 5 years and we should get a decent crop. Except ....
yesterday I spotted a hole in the soil. Then another. Soon I realised
the bed is like a piece of Ementhal! I set an experimental trap (don't
worry .... it was a Longworth type) and this morning got what I expected
- a wood mouse.

I'm loath to trap them all and try and clear them, preferring the owls
do the work. I hope the cats stay away as they are a real pain. The
question is ... do wood mice eat the roots, nascent shoots of asparagus
or generally do damage. I suspect the answer is "Yes!" in which case
there is a problem. But advice would be welcome.

I cannot answer your question but you have got me worried. Nothing
has ever dug in my asparagus bed, to my knowledge, but I have just
moved some plants and planted new ones on a new (smaller) allotment.
I had the best crop even this year, so am hoping these will not be
attacked. I shall watch them carefully.
Are you sure it wasn't a gopher?!

Pam in Bristol