Old 23-11-2008, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge Rusty_Hinge is offline

Default Greenhouse question

The message
from Happymeow contains these words:
Granity;823399 Wrote:
Either drill through the base into the slabs and screw it down using
rawplugs
or get some brackets and fix then to the sides of the base and then
screw the brackets to the slabs. If it's glazed with polycarbonate it
will need to be very well secured, if glass less so.

Thank for the reply. The green house that I've bought is glass. The
pavment is flat. What is the reason of greenhouse attaching to the
ground? is it only for Stability. I have two mini greenhouse (the
plastic one) and with nothing attached to them they are fine in our
garden. Unfortunatly we do not have much soil/grass area in our garden
and the ground is all concrete. And if i have to drew hole on the
paving area, my husband just worried it will damage the pavment. I
just want an area to grow some veg.. being a beginner i should have
done more research before getting a greenhouse. feel really stupid now.

No reason to.

You could lay down a dollop of concrete to hold the corners down and in
position - if ever you need to remove it, a cold chisel and a
lump-hammer would oblige.

You need to keep a greenhouse fixed to the ground because its weight to
surface area ratio is so low, that even a moderatw wind might roll it
away.

Even in a sheltered spot, eddies in stormy conditions can flex it enough
to break panes of glass.

Plastic greenhouses 'give'.

--
Rusty