Old 10-04-2003, 09:32 PM
Frogleg

Default when to prune my rose?

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:32:34 GMT, "Stephen Younge"
wrote:

I live in Boulder, Colorado, and noticed that a large rose bush (about four
feet tall) in our backyard is greening up already.

Last year, I vowed to prune it, as it is so tall that it bends down to the
ground once it blooms.

Should I prune this spring or wait until this fall?

I'm a rose/flower newby, as most of my gardening to date has been tomatoes,
cucumbers, and the like!

Standard advice is to prune in late winter, before new growth emerges.
However, a sturdy but overgrown bush can probably stand some pruning
at most times of year. Cutting a blossom to bring indoors is "pruning"
in a way, and we do that in midsummer. Any ol' garden center can
advise you as to proper times and methods, and may even have scheduled
demonstrations. You want to both trim up your bush and encourage it to
grow in a pleasing, healthy way. Lots of info on the web, too.