Old 24-11-2008, 11:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Bites out of greens

said:

My "winter" greens are flourishing, but the leaves have bites
taken out of them. Everything -- mesclun, bok choy, etc.
has those bites.

Anything I can do that won't harm the organic-ness of my
crops? Spray? Surround? Other?

Sure, but first you have to figure out what is taking a bite out
of your greens.

Slugs? Iron phosphate baits, hand picking

Caterpillars? Bt, hand-picking

Earwigs? Soap spray

Birds? Netting. (I've had goldfinches and housefinches nipping
at my greens.)

Usually I get some caterpillars on my fall bok choy, but not so
heavily that I'm tempted to do anything other than wash it
carefully before use.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

After enlightenment, the laundry.