Old 24-11-2008, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse question

In article ,
says...

Granity;823399 Wrote:
Either drill through the base into the slabs and screw it down using
rawplugs
or get some brackets and fix then to the sides of the base and then
screw the brackets to the slabs. If it's glazed with polycarbonate it
will need to be very well secured, if glass less so.

Thank for the reply. The green house that I've bought is glass. The
pavment is flat. What is the reason of greenhouse attaching to the
ground? is it only for Stability. I have two mini greenhouse (the
plastic one) and with nothing attached to them they are fine in our
garden. Unfortunatly we do not have much soil/grass area in our garden
and the ground is all concrete. And if i have to drew hole on the
paving area, my husband just worried it will damage the pavment. I
just want an area to grow some veg.. being a beginner i should have
done more research before getting a greenhouse. feel really stupid now.

If you do not anchor it the frame can flex in a high wind which will
break the glass, an unpredicted storm could be highly dangerous if it is
completely unsecured.
You can buy small angle brackets made of alluminium (important) which
attach to the frame at the bottom then you can drill and raw plug them to
the concrete. It is vital the base is completely level, so chock up the
low points until it is then use a morter mix under the edges to make it a
permanant solution.
Mike's suggestion of a brick or block base is a good idea especially if
you are tall as it gives you extra height, the down side is you end up
with a step into the greenhouse
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk