Old 25-11-2008, 03:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Spreading topsoil and planting grass

You can try planting now if you like and see how things go. I suspect
however you'd be fighting a losing battle thru summer to keep it alive and
its a bloody waste of good water. Also, it'd cost a small fortune in seed
only to see it brown off & die. Maybe, if you want to give it a go, seed a
section, maybe a front lawn, and see how things go. I don't like your
chances mind, especially given the temperatures we are starting to get in
Hamilton already.

rob

"Rats" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 9:38 pm, "George.com" wrote:
rats. Really, the wrong time of year mate to be planting an entire new
lawn.
Unless you want to be religiously outside morning and evening right
through
summer watering your new lawn, it likely won't last. The grass won't have
had time to put down roots properly to survive the summer heat in Jan
through March. Also, depending where you are, we had a massive drought in
parts of the country (here in the Waikato especially) and you may be faced
with hose bans as well.

Best time to lay a new lawn is march-april with th onset of autumn rains
but
before the soils cools down too quickly. You can certainly do the
levelling
work now and with a bit of luck some rian through december will help the
soil settle in a little bit.

Do you need the lawn through summer? If not, you can do the hard work now
and seed in autumn.

rob

Thanks for the post mate. I was just going to stick some sprinklers on
a timer or something mate. Mind you with the amount of rain we're
getting Auckland at the moment I might not need to bother!