Old 25-11-2008, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Spreading topsoil and planting grass

"Rats" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Just shuffling over it pressing your heels in, then gently raking, then
shuffling again etc etc is enough.

Some of the equipment hire places have a small roller you can hire. I
was planning on using this. So you're sure it's not necessary to
compact then?

A small roller would be OK but even so the heel way is preferable, gets into
any little pockets etc, whereas a roller can just skip over them. It's time
consuming but if you get the whole household out doing the shuffle then it
can be quite amusing.

There was one more question I forgot to ask and it's an important one.
How close to the house should I spread the soil and plant grass? I've
heard that you should allow for some clearance as too close could mean
the wood would end up rotting. Maybe I could just plant the grass
irrespective of how close it is and then once it's taken root I can
carefully spray the edges so it doesn't grow too close to the house.
What do you think?

No experience of wooden houses but I would always put a path next to a house
if only so you can clean the windows without getting muddy. If you have to
use a ladder then it becomes essential. Cutting grass right up next to a
vertical is a pain too, you have to do it by hand or use a strimmer and that
may damage your wooden house.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden