Old 25-11-2008, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹°-°² is offline

Default Spreading topsoil and planting grass

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:34:50 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Rats" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Just shuffling over it pressing your heels in, then gently raking, then
shuffling again etc etc is enough.

I am in the UK. I've always thought there was a load of crap talked
about laying a lawn. If you leave an untouched area of cleared soil
alone, it will be quickly colonised by grasses and weeds without your
intervention. After 6 months or so a selective weed killer can deal
with the weeds.

About 4 months ago I had a load of really big Leylandii removed,
leaving a bare area of about 10 x 4 yards. I gave it a quick hoeing
over, graded it by hoeing/raking the top 2 inches and then planted two
small (different mixes) packets of grass seed followed by a brief
raking in.

I now have a very acceptable repair matching my previous lawn. Even
the weed content is minimal.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²