Old 26-11-2008, 11:51 AM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie Chookie is offline

Default Shade tree

In article ,
Dinsdale Pirana wrote:

I had a Liquid Amber in a garden when I lived in Sydney. I thought it
was a great shade tree and because it lost its leaves in winter it let
the sun in during the cold months when you needed it. I can't say that
I saw any problem with the roots and by then it was about a 5 metre
tree and pretty close to the house (full brick).

Five metres tall and close to the house? You are lucky you moved. They grow
to TWENTY-FIVE METRES. Moreover, they are famous for penetrating drains and
cracking concrete.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...rees_and_palms
/liquidambars

A maple can provide deciduous shade without quite so much drama. But for
speed, I'd find an appropriate wattle.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

http://chookiesbackyard.blogspot.com/