Old 27-11-2008, 10:30 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Using seed potatoes vs. 'ordinary 'spuds?

"Jeßus" wrote in message
Might seem like a naive question - but I'm still learning all about
temperate climate veggies

Pros & Cons of using proper seed spuds vs. spuds from the grocers?

For those that have tried both - what are your experiences and
conclusions?

Thanks.

Seed potatoes are generally smaller so it is cheaper to plant them whole
(although they can be cut provided you leave at least one eye on each part
and preferably let the cuts callus before planting) and they should be
certified disease free. Other than that they ought to be exactly the same
as grocer's unless the grocer's taters are diseased. What is the chance
that grocer's potatoes carry disease? I don't know.

David