Old 28-11-2008, 01:26 AM posted to aus.gardens
Dan[_9_] Dan[_9_] is offline

Default Using seed potatoes vs. 'ordinary 'spuds?

Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a bit old.
Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a sort of foul
smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only ruined that planting,
but other attempts to plant in the same area. I'd stick to seed potatoes.
Cheers,
Dan
"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:30:45 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
Might seem like a naive question - but I'm still learning all about
temperate climate veggies

Pros & Cons of using proper seed spuds vs. spuds from the grocers?

For those that have tried both - what are your experiences and
conclusions?

Seed potatoes are generally smaller so it is cheaper to plant them whole
(although they can be cut provided you leave at least one eye on each
part and preferably let the cuts callus before planting) and they should
be certified disease free. Other than that they ought to be exactly the
same as grocer's unless the grocer's taters are diseased. What is the
chance that grocer's potatoes carry disease? I don't know.

Thanks David. As I've just mentioned to Greenie, I'll probably just use
spuds sourced from the grocer.