Old 28-11-2008, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default How to get onto urg

In message , Granity
writes

geo;823639 Wrote:
Janet Conroy wrote:
-
Here I am, replying to myself. I've tried twice to get a response to
this. Please don't tick me off or write snotty comments when I
mention
something I've seen elsewhere on GardenBanter if none of you urglers
is
prepared to give me guidance on how to access urg other than via GB.-

As others have said, you need to be able to use a newsreader. I have
just followed the instructions he-
http://news.aioe.org/spip.php?article77
to set up a (free) account with nntp.aioe.org - you do not have to
register with them at all.

Using news groups is ok IF it's only one or two of them, if, as I do,
you subscribe to quite a lot then it becomes almost a full time
occupation to read all of the posts.

You don't have to read all the posts, I'm on quite a few groups, but I
only read all posts on low traffic ones.

Since in most cases only about 40%
of posts have any interest to anyone person, the time, effort and
trouble becomes too much and the whole thing implodes.

Not really, read what you want, ignore the others (a newsreader as
opposed to a web interface makes it quick and easy to make those you are
interested in, and ignore those you aren't etc.)

Most of the
sites I receive in digest form via 2 or 3 emails a day which means I
can at least pick out the posts of interest to me from the digest
headers.

You are probably talking about email lists rather than newsgroups here,
personally I hate digests, but some people like them.

The beauty of garden banter is that the forum layout enables
me to see at a glance what is new, what interests me,

Which a newsreader does as well. Much better IMO.

and above all I
don't have to wade through yards of quotes from the start of the thread
trying to find the one line reply buried in there somewhere, in a forum
you don't need to use quotes to show what you are talking about as the
thread has a title that tells you. /rant. :-)

I have subject headers as well...

The main reason for quoting is that the nature of Usenet is that it is
possible that you might receive a reply without receiving the original,
or you might not have the original any more. So a bit of quoting gives
context. Lack of snipping though is annoying eitherway.

My problems with web forums and interfaces is that it is just so slow
and clunky. I can only put up with it on places which are low traffic or
that I want to use enough to overcome the effort required. Dealing with
groups on the web with lots of traffic is much harder than via my
newsreader.
--
Chris French