Old 28-11-2008, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default How to get onto urg

Granity writes
in a forum

you don't need to use quotes to show what you are talking
about as the

thread has a title that tells you. /rant. :-)

How does that differ from a newsgroup?

Any newsreader worth its salt will highlight new bits in a different
colour so they are easy to find, a poster who is quoting properly will
merely quote the relevant bits, which saves you having to read all
through the previous post to try and dig out the tiny piece that relates
to the reply. Finally, using my newsreader I can just hit the space bar
to move from one new post to another - much less trouble than all this
clicking on particular topics.

But it all depends on how often you pick up posts and how many you want
to read. I don't mind if people want to get their gardening chat from a
website, I just object to my posts being creamed off into a website
where the majority of posters are totally unaware that what they are
reading is stuff that has been generated elsewhere (to be fair to
gardenbanter, it does have a tiny notice at the top saying it is a
portal to newsgroups)
--
Kay