Old 10-04-2003, 09:56 PM
JNJ

Default Tree Suggestions?

We do have one old large oak left in the backyard, so there are plenty of
nuts to go around :-) (including the ones that live in my house, hee hee)

:-)

Thank you for your suggestions, I'm writing them all down (from here and
rec.birds) and I'm going to look up the trees in my book to see what's

what.

Our front yard is about 30'x50x I suppose (maybe a tad more) and we have two
very old Maples, a Redbud, and a Crab Apple. I've added a Lilac that is
doing well (3 years in the ground now) and I'll be planting another here
soon. There's also a honeysuckle bush in one corner and I intend to add
some more shrubs along one side plus more vines to cover a fence. We have
half a dozen different feeders out there with mostly sunflower seeds (gots 3
suet feeders that the woodpeckers like lots).

We'll be moving the feeders to the back yard (about 150'x50') since it is
more sheltered (trees all the way around, almost forming a dome) and away
from the street that sees 80,000 cars a day. I've trimmed all of the trees
up to about 7 or so feet and we'll be planting shrubs along the fence line
this spring. All of our choices of shrubs will be ones that are prolific
growers and that have lots of berries -- Honeysuckle, Autumn Olive, and Amur
Privet to name a few. I'm trying to find some that I can just direct sow as
well to cut back on the expense. If all goes well, next year the back yard
will be quite a little wildlife preserve.

James