Old 10-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Elmer

Default [IBC] Bamboo Propagation/Air Layering

In article m,
(Ben Griffin) wrote:

Hi everyone i was thinking of getting some bamboo for
my garden but some of the more unique varieties get
quite expensive. I was thinking of getting one or two
stems then air layering them off. Is this done the
same way you would air layer a woody plant? Do any
of you have any tips? Is it much more difficult then
rooting or air layering a bush or tree?
Thanks
Ben Griffin

After seeing all the responses saying that air layering won't work, I
must tell you that I did once use it to get a stand started quickly and
cheaply and it certainly worked for me. I just "air layered" around a
node, using moss held in by plastic sheeting. In a month or so new
roots began to show at the plastic surface and I just cut it off below
the node. I actually did several on one branch and hence got several new
plants from it. I had to make sure that there was not too much growth
above the cutting because those tended to dry out and die too easily. I
must admit that I added some #2 rooting compound to the moss, but I am
not sure that it was necessary. I used the technique to get a row of
banboo going quickly in one year. In a few years the rapidly spreading
shoots would have provided new plants much more easily. In fact I had
to take an axe to the spreading roots this year. It put up quite a
fight, but we humans always win provided our hearts can take it.

Elmer