Old 28-11-2008, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default How to get onto urg

Rusty_Hinge writes

I dislike posts being separated into subthreads - for two reasons: the
first is that some posts will contain reference to two or more points,
which have caused the thread to be split, and if, for instance, I am not
interested in one of the aspects and am not following that sub-thread,
I'll miss something which is apposite to the thread I *AM* following.

Ah ... I guess there's more than one way of splitting. I'm thinking of
the scenario where A and B both reply to the original poster, then C and
D reply to A, E relies to C. N replies to B, P replies to N.

My newsreader shows this heirarchy clearly, and just hitting the space
bar gives me the posts in the order:
Original, A,C,E
B, N P

That means I follow a complete chain of responses to the end before
getting into the next response.

The second is that at least one of the clients which split things thus
split hairs too, and I get up to half a dozen threads all with a
different number of spaces added somewhere in the subject line,

No spaces at all in the subject line. In fact the list of threads
doesn't show the sub-threads at all, unless I double click on a
particular thread, when it expands to list all the posts with a sort of
'family tree' showing who replied to who.

--
Kay