Old 29-11-2008, 01:28 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Using seed potatoes vs. 'ordinary 'spuds?

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:46:18 +0000, 0tterbot wrote:

" Dan" wrote in message
Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a bit
old. Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a sort of
foul smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only ruined that
planting, but other attempts to plant in the same area. I'd stick to
seed potatoes.

i've had that happen from a purchased seed potato :-) (unbelievably
foul, isn't it?)

Indeed it is!
Which brings up an interesting point - a lot of my bought spuds have gone
'bad' from time to time. But I keep using the same wicker basket for
storage... which may well be harbouring the disease?

Very likely the basket has fungal spores in it. Wash it with soap and water
and put it out in the sun for a few days.

David