Old 28-11-2008, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mystery plant leaf

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"K" wrote in message
Christina Websell writes

Is it an outdoor plant or a houseplant? A shrub? What?
How big is the leaf? Does it flower? Much more info needed than a photo
of a dead leaf unfortunately ;-)
My wildest guess is ficus.

Ficus is more oval, and you'd be hard put to fold it into an envelope
without splitting it ;-)

The black midrib should be a clue.

I said it was a wild guess! ;-)
What are your thoughts on it?

That shape of leaf is typical of wet sclerophylla forest - so there
would be also sort of possibilties - Ficus (not elastica, but one of the
other species), Prunus laurocerasus, Rhododendron, and many others.

The lack of any distinguishable secondary venation makes me consider the
possibility that it may be a fern. (Monocots are commonly
parallel-veined, and dicots reticulate-veined.) I hadn't considered the
constraints on identification imposed by the observed ability to fold it
without splitting it, but that would exclude the majority of
sclerophylls, and might be another point in favour of identification as
a fern.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley