Old 29-11-2008, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zoot Zoot is offline

Default Corn recommendations

Do you have any scientific citations for any of this? It sounds
completely made up. I think if you looked at the climate histories for
any given region, you would see that both the degree of variation as well
as the rate of variation hasn't changed much over the last several
centuries.

We have been experiencing a cooling trend up here in the NorthWest for the
past couple of years. Last spring/summer was one of the coolest and wettest
in quite a while. However, talk to any old-timers and they tell you about
how cold it used to get fifty years ago. I met this one old feller a few
years ago that talked about how he has seen the Columbia river freeze over
every winter. That hasn't happened for many years.

As far as corn hybrids go, my experience as a corn farmer leads me to
think that the newer hybrids are MORE tolerant of variable temp/rainfall
conditions, not the opposite. The seed companies have been very active in
this area and yields have gone up quite a bit as a result.

What are your experiences with high sugar hybrids - corn bred for high sugar
contents?