Old 29-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Janet Conroy Janet Conroy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgesant View Post
Just getting into gardening... our 130ft garden has been somewhat neglected and we are now doing stuff too if.

To start we have had cut down about 200m sq of weeds and brambles from the back end of our garden.

What use would this all be if I hired a shredder and had this as mulch? Should I bag it up and take away or use on the rest of the garden?
You could shred the brambles, but then they need composting - I wouldn't put them onto borders until Autumn of next year. The weeds are likely to be perennials (dandelions, dock, nettles etc) which I would never put on the compost - I'd take them to your nearest tip and put them in the green waste.
However, nettles (with roots chopped off) are good for composts, so if you're prepared to faff, you could extract those. I don't know if you've made compost before - if not, Google has lots of items about what to do. Hope this helps.