Old 29-11-2008, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mystery plant leaf

In message , K
writes
Christina Websell writes

"K" wrote in message
Christina Websell writes

"K" wrote in message

The black midrib should be a clue.

I said it was a wild guess! ;-)
What are your thoughts on it?

No more than I said! It looks like the end of a harts tongue fern ;-)
But I think we had better assume it's the whole leaf.
--

Oh, I thought you meant you knew it because of the black mid-rib! g

It was rather that the black mid-rib stopped me knowing it! ;-)
I'm not good at houseplants, and none of the half-remembered
possibilities I looked at had a black midrib.

In fact the only things that spring to mind as having a black midrib
are some of the ferns.

You might well have been on the right lines when you mentioned the
hart's tounge fern. I've been through my files of digital photographs,
and it looks like Asplenium nidus, which does have a black midrib, at
least sometimes.

It appears that the Asplenium nidus of commerce is composed of one or
more members of a species complex, and should be referred to as
Asplenium nidus hort, rather than Asplenium nidus L. (When the botanists
have sorted them out, they might arrange for the commonest plant in
cultivation to be Asplenium nidus, as it may not be possible to tell
which species Linnaeus based his description on.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley