Old 29-11-2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Help for a novice... What use are brambles and weeds for the future?

In article ,
Janet Conroy wrote:

You could shred the brambles, but then they need composting - I
wouldn't put them onto borders until Autumn of next year. The weeds
are likely to be perennials (dandelions, dock, nettles etc) which I
would never put on the compost - I'd take them to your nearest tip and
put them in the green waste.

Brambles
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Rubus+villosus
Edible Parts: Fruit.

Fruit - raw or cooked[105, 161]. Rather variable in quality, there are a
number of named forms with delicious fruits that have been selected for
cultivation[2].
http://www.holistic-online.com/Herba..._Herbs/h97.htm

Used for:

Diarrhea
Wounds
Mouth Sores, Sore Throat
Hemorrhoids
------

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....cum+officinale
Dandelion

Edible Parts: Flowers; Leaves; Root.

Edible Uses: Coffee; Tea.

Medicinal Uses
Aperient; Cholagogue; Depurative; Diuretic; Hepatic; Laxative;
Stomachic; Tonic; Warts.
------
http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_...?ALLNAMES=dock
http://www.holistic-online.com/Herba...Herbs/h314.htm

Great Burdock
Edible Parts: Leaves; Root; Seed; Stem.

Medicinal Uses

Alterative; Antibacterial; Antifungal; Antiphlogistic; Aperient; Blood
purifier; Carminative; Cholagogue; Depurative; Diaphoretic; Diuretic;
Hypoglycaemic; Stomachic.

Burdock is one of the foremost detoxifying herbs in both Chinese and
Western herbal medicine[254].
-------

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants.php?Urtica+dioica

Urtica dioica - L.: Stinging Nettle

Edible Parts: Leaves.

Edible Uses: Colouring; Curdling agent; Drink.

Medicinal Uses

Antiasthmatic; Antidandruff; Astringent; Diuretic; Galactogogue;
Haemostatic; Hypoglycaemic; Stings; Tonic.

----

Pity, I'd love to have these plants in my yard.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars