Old 30-11-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HELP PLEASE - Apple Rootstock Origin

In article , says...

"Gary" wrote in message
Wonder if someone can help please.

I understand the different qualities of apple rootstock i.e. M26, M106
etc, but what is rootstock actually grown from, cant seem to find
anything on the internet.

Many Thanks

Gary

I had a similar question go through my mind a couple days ago. I wondered,
to get a dwarf tree for rootstock, if I could plant a seed from a (grafted)
dwarf apple tree & grow one?

Then again, if the graft was from a larger growing specimen, would that
render the new tree the same size as the original (grafted on scion wood) or
the original rootstock?

rob

Getting dwarf stock is a matter of years of careful cross breeding and
selection, you may of course get lucky but the odds are against.
If you see a fruit tree that is a seedling (not grafted) and it is small
(not because of age) then you can do hard wood cuttings but apple and
pear stock is not that expensive!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk