Old 30-11-2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
ReelMcKoi ReelMcKoi is offline

Default goldfish house with observation feature

"john zeiss" wrote in message
I have a quite shallow pond (18" or so) in north London, u.k. . I built

substantial little house out of bricks for the gold fish to hide under.
It's complete with a ventilator type grill on the roof. (the kind you pu

in the wall of your house just above ground level to assist air flow aro

und
the foundations) The purpose of this was to enable the fish to see out
from their house.

The other day a heron flew in (we chased him off several times) and he

ate them all, when we weren't looking.

Somehow I've never liked nets over the pond, and would prefer to build

good house for the fish; preferably so they can see danger coming. I
beginning to think maybe some fine mesh type chicken wire, so they can

get
a good look around, but be safe under it?

Would anyone have any ideas on how to design something suitable please?

Or are the fish just too dozy and inattentive and really the whole pond

has to be covered ? Thanks for any advice.

================================

After years of battling herons and trying everything in the book we final
ly
netted the ponds. Birds are a lot more intelligent than fish and will cl
ean
out your pond every time. My fish had things to hide under also. The her
ons
still got them.
--
RM....