Old 30-11-2008, 01:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
ReelMcKoi ReelMcKoi is offline

Default goldfish house with observation feature

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi John
Herons don't like any form of physical barrier. Try potted plants arou

nd
the pond. I use grasses in 15" pots. They kinda blend with the
pond........evergreen........low maintenance. I'm sorry for your loss

of

fish.

A determined heron will penetrate almost anything - I cannot see potted

plants working at all round here !

Netting stands the best chance IMHO.

However I am interested in this suggestion from Jan

" Next
spring you can install a motion activated sprinkler and remove the net.

"

Could he please expand. - Many thanks

Make sure if you get one of these you don't use a hose that can split und
er
pressure. You may come home from work to find your yard flooded and a wat
er
bill to put you in the poorhouse.... or the doghouse for awhile. ;-)

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.