Old 30-11-2008, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default Greenhouses & filmsy polycarbonate sheeting

"Pete C" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:
Back in February I bought my wife two 9' x 12' "Lakeland"

greenhouses
as a retirement present. Due to various issues including levelling

the
site etc it's only in the last month we've assembled one of them

(the
other is still in bits), and within two weeks we lost seven of the
polycarbonate sheets in what I think were only light winds. I have

no
faith whatsoever in the rest not blowing away soon.

The sheeting is 4mm polycarbonate twin wall that slides into

channels,
and the wind makes it bow so much that it comes out of the

channel.
Once out they are almost impossible to re-fit without major
dismantling. It was a seller on ebay (swiftbuys234) who reportedly
died five weeks ago so no redress there. OK our fault for not

putting
them up sooner, but I believe that the basic design is flawed.

Has anyone else had this problem, or perhaps has a solution less
radical than scrapping them and starting again?

AWEM

What is the base? Is it absolutely level? Is the greenhouse securely

bolted
down?
Any other brand name, as I can't find any trace of Lakeland

Greenhouses in
Google.
--
Pete C
London UK

Base is concrete, and dead nuts flat!
There is no provision for clipping
The groove depth is too shallow to pierce the sheeting and retain
strength
The sellers son initially told me Lakeland were in Scarborough, then
Cleatormoor in Cumbria, neither check out.
(Obviously a China made item)
I suspect that silicone will peel off in the wet and wind as the
overlap is so small

....argh !

AWEM