Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Tomatoes in a cold greenhouse

"David W EEE Roberts" wrote in message
Despite the grotty cold weather my last couple of tomato plants seem to be
surviving in the cold greenhouse and they are still slowly ripening
tomatoes - presumably when the greenhouse warms up on sunny days.

I also have a few green tomatoes indoors in the warm in a plastic tub
along
with ripe tomatoes and a ripe banana.

Strangely, the ones in the greenhouse seem to be doing better.

One of the plants is actually putting out side shoots, although neither
plant is flowering.

Has anyone ever overwintered tomato plants (or cuttings)?

Dave.

Here in NZ I have had tomatos in an unheated polytunnel until the end of
July (end of Jan for you). The late green tomatos ripened (most of them)
quite well in paper bags along with a banana. The falvour wasn't great mind
(not too juicy) but they went ok on Pizza.

rob