Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
keith kent keith kent is offline

Default Greenhouses & filmsy polycarbonate sheeting

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"david sutcliffe" wrote in message
Hi Andrew

have you considered abandoning the polycarbonate and using the frames for
a polytunnel, covered in UVI stabilised polythene sheeting ? I am about
to do this with mini greenhouse frames for next year.

HTH

David

I am sure you mean well but covering
frames such as these with polythene would be almost as disastrous as the
polycarb.
The edges are far to unrounded and stress tears would soon occur.
Polytunnels are constructed with round bar
and even that needs protective tape where the polythene touches the bar.
The urgency seems to be to stabilise things - either all in or out for the
time being before high winds return.
Even a glass one in this state would succumb !
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

I think you will be fine just putting a bead of silicon sealant down all
edges ,smoothing off with a damp finger so it makes good contact.

I swopped the lower half of my 8 x 6 ali greenhouse to polycarbonate which
fixes with glazing clips.
Some panels blew out shortly afterward after strong winds, so i fixed them
back and got the silicone out !

They have not moved since over 5 years now.

By the way it looks a very nice greenhouse.

Regards Keith