Old 03-12-2008, 02:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
DavidM[_2_] DavidM[_2_] is offline

Default underwater grid

Derek Broughton wrote:
Hal wrote:

I don't believe that is a practical idea for most of us. A grid
with spacing's close enough to prevent a child's foot from passing
through would obstruct fish viewing

Rebar and the rods to weld rebar are carbon steel and it will rust,
however I see this rusting steel as no more harmful than the steel
water pipes used in my home plumbing.

Most rusting/rotting occurs right at the water-line (because oxygen is
involved). As long as the rebar stays below the water, it won't be a
huge issue, but I agree it's ugly...

Funny idea this. I've seen water features that use a heavy checker plate
level with the ground, underneath is running water, lights and bubbles
etc. The idea is that none of your limited garden space is lost to open
streams, and everything can be walked on. It would not suit a fish pond
because it's pretty hard to see anything other than metal.

But, the suggestion here is to install the same kind of metal below the
surface as a safety feature. That makes little safety sense. Standing
water is dangerous if more than 2" deep, people could still drown if
they fell onto this plate. It secured strongly enough to support an
adult, the chance of shattering bones and falling unconscious would be
very high in the event of a fall.

If your primary concern is stopping people from dying in your garden,
perhaps a better option would be wire netting. I'm thinking of a 4"
opening net made from stainless steel cable. It could be streched taught
level with the water and secured into a concrete pond surround. That
would support the weight of a child or adult, not knock them out on
impact and allowing them to roll out of danger. I'm guessing it would
not disturb the view too much either.

DavidM