Old 10-04-2003, 11:56 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] Bamboo Propagation/Air Layering

According to all the books I have there are only the two distinct types
of growth running (Leptomorph) and clumping (Pachymorph). I have found
that even this classification is not always reliable. My Phyllostachys
aureosulcata Spectabilis is supposed to be clumping but was planted in
very well enriched soil and watered regularly. The result is a 12 foot
wide clump in four years from a single 5 Litre pot. A friend's clump of
the same variety, at the same age has barely doubled the area it
occupies.

I learned from this experience and planted my P nigra and P nigra
Boryana in sol with good drainage but less animal fertiliser. These have
both grown well and remained in a neat clump for three years. They still
need watching though.

A small retaining wall must be very deep in the soil if you are to have
any chance of stopping the more vigorous rhizomes. They will puncture
pool liners, asphalt, weak mortar and can even "jump" over a low barrier
if not closely watched!

There are some excellent new books on Bamboo. I can heartily recommend
The Gardeners Guide to Growing Temperate Bamboos by Michael Bell on
Timber Press - beautifully illustrated and very well written.

The right one in the right place with the right care can be a dramatic
and very enjoyable addition to a garden. They do require work, but what
garden plant doesn't?

Cheers

Kev Bailey

---