Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_5_] Jeßus[_5_] is offline

Default Using seed potatoes vs. 'ordinary 'spuds?

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 12:28:18 +1100, David Hare-Scott wrote:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 Nov 2008 08:46:18 +0000, 0tterbot wrote:

" Dan" wrote in message
Hi,
I used to use the spuds that were bought for eating that had got a
bit old. Then I got a sort of blight. The young spuds turned into a
sort of foul smelling bag of milky fluid in the ground. Not only
ruined that planting, but other attempts to plant in the same area.
I'd stick to seed potatoes.

i've had that happen from a purchased seed potato :-) (unbelievably
foul, isn't it?)

Indeed it is!
Which brings up an interesting point - a lot of my bought spuds have
gone 'bad' from time to time. But I keep using the same wicker basket
for storage... which may well be harbouring the disease?

Very likely the basket has fungal spores in it. Wash it with soap and
water and put it out in the sun for a few days.

Good idea and will do, thanks David.