Old 04-12-2008, 08:17 PM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus[_5_] Jeßus[_5_] is offline

Default Using seed potatoes vs. 'ordinary 'spuds?

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:45:36 +0000, len gardener wrote:

g'day,

certified seed potato's are supposed to be disease free ie.,. potato
blight, if you ever get it then growing spuds again there might be out
of the question?

i generally buy certified's as it gives me the all at once supply, and
also on the just in case disease safety side as well.

but i have grown from ordinary spuds out of the fridge, and never had
any disease problems. here we grow through the winter months planting
about march/april and where they get pretty much full sun especially all
of the late sun.

Thanks Len. I'll probably play it safe and go for seed spuds, assuming I
find the right varieties at the right time. I found a small plot of spuds
growing here the other day, I have no idea what variety or origin, theyre
just starting to flower now.

Cheers