Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Has this ......

On Dec 4, 2:39 pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 03:50:32 -0800 (PST), Judith in France

wrote:
On Dec 4, 11:27 am, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 11:23:28 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

shazzbat wrote:
"Pete C" wrote in message
David W EEE Roberts wrote:
'Mike' wrote:

..... ""recession"" hit you or is it all media hype?

Do you know anybody who has been hit by this ""recession""? HOW?

Mike

Can't sell our house at the moment - which I count as 'hit'.

Told by employers that due to the current economic climate there will
be no bonuses, pay rises, training, travel to any meetings which are
not directly revenue generating, long service awards etc. etc.

Yep - that feels like 'hit' to me.

Always assuming that the compulsory redundancies don't come my
way.....

That has just happened to my neighbour. He's hit.

Steve

The term "hit" is interesting. We like to feel that this is an act of
god, or some kind of external, uncontrollable event. Shame for those
left standing up when the music stopped, but it ain't a tsunami

It's hard to explain how a recession can lead to staff working excessive
overtime but are no longer paid for it nor given compensatory time. I am not
surprised that union membership is increasing.
--

Martin

Martin, I don't think that the Unions have any teeth these days.

If membership carries on increasing at the present rate they soon will have.

was in hospital management until I retired and I saw first hand that
when staff used the Union, for anything, it made little or no
difference to the outcome.

I've heard the same thing from my daughter.

To answer the OP question, everyone is hit
one way or another, it can't have escaped anyone that the cost of food
has soared, interest on savings slashed and for those who are selling
a house and not buying another, then there is a real loss. My
daughter bought a house on mortgage last year, she is in negative
equity, so yes, we are all hit, it is not media hype. There will be a
lot more people growing their own veggies next year.

Is your daughter still paying less, than if she rented the same property??
--

Martin

Yes, of course; so she can hold on, we have seen this in the past
early 1980? when our neighbours were in negative equity and very
worried, however when the recession ended, they sold their house a few
years later with a reasonable profit.

Judith