Old 05-12-2008, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W EEE Roberts David W EEE Roberts is offline

Default How to get onto urg

chris French wrote:

In message ,
Rusty_Hinge writes
The message
from David W EEE Roberts contains these words:

I fel happy for you, but perhaps you could tell me if either version
will accept a user name and pasword for a newsgroup, and if so where the
settings are located within the overall setings?

Not sure what you mean - you just down and upload new posts to
newsgroups - there's no username or password needed.

However, that might be the way independent news *SERVERS* operate.

It does.

If you are using your ISP's news server then you don't normally need to
authenticate as it knows who you are.

If you are using a third party new server then you need to authenticate
(otherwise anyone could just log on and post - spammer heaven )

Does it maybe just ask for the username password combo when you connect
to the server?

Wierd.

Wasn't doing that last week - does it now.
Password manager then offers to save it for you.

I must have had a typo in the configuraton.

Even so, I prefer the 'knode' interace.

I am also underwhelmed by the diagnostics output by Thunderbird when it
fails to connect.

Now to compare the two for filtering capabilities.