Old 07-12-2008, 07:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default Silver beat gone to seed

"Keith Rhodes" wrote in message
I've got a heap of silver beat, planted six months ago, that's gone to
seed. Lower levels are okay. Should I just cut it back to half way and let
it sprout again?

no, just plant some more as it grows so fast anyway, & now is a good time.
it just sounds like yours is too far gone to bother with now. once it gets
flowering the leaves diminish in quantity & quality & don't taste as good
anyway, and it may very well just want to resume flowering.

sometimes (not very often ime), you can stop leafy plants from flowering,
but you need to nip out the flower heads early, i.e. immediately they
appear. with something like silverbeet it's just not worth the trouble
though ime, so just plant more.
kylie