Old 08-12-2008, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheila Sheila is offline

Default Ping Judith and Sheila - Agapanthus seeds

"Spider" wrote in message
Hi both,

Sorry I've not been around to post regarding the agapanthus seeds - just
so so busy!

Judith, Sheila asked me to post with information about seed sowing, in the
hope that you might benefit if you'd never sown agapanthus before. I
haven't.

The RHS Propagating Plants guide says the seeds should be sown at 16'C
(61'F). It does not suggest depth of planting, but savvy gardeners know
that most seed should be covered with its own depth of soil, so fairly
shallowly in this case. They should germinate in three weeks.
Established seedlings should be grown on in a cold frame, but protected
from frost. In the spring, the seedlings can be transferred to a nursery
bed. The new plants should flower in their third year.

Hope that helps. There is nothing about feeding, but once the weather
warms up a bit, I shall give a general fertiliser, then top that up with a
weakish feed throughout the year; I'll probably repeat that in the second
year. In the third year, I shall start with a general feed, then give a
high potash feed about May time. Naturally, I'll adjust that if I
perceive any problems. No doubt, we three will be swapping notes during
that time.

Must stop typing now - I need to cross my fingers!

Best Wishes,
Spider

very concise information there, I am going to split my seedlings into two
groups, the natural, and the mollycoddled, the natural I shall sow outside,
and let nature take its course, and the mollycoddled, well, self explanatory
really! I shall keep a diary, and provide photo's if I can find my
camera, if not, my phone will have to do. This is going to be interesting,
and just waiting for Adrian to join in too....