Old 08-12-2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Pete Stockdale Pete Stockdale is offline

Default goldfish house with observation feature

I sent this prior to RM's answer, but perhaps you missed it... or it went
off into cyberspace:

A picture/video is worth a thousand words:

http://www.break.com/index/motion-ac...s-pigeons.html

I use a wider swath, and sensitivity can be adjusted (even that little
bird
could have set mine off if I had the sensitivity all the way up,
unfortunately wind blowing plants also sets it off at the higher
sensitivity). ;-) The brand I have is called a Scare Crow just like the
picture of the website you have, course one still needs cover (screen/net)
in the winter when the water is off. ~ jan

PS. Never had a problem with a hose popping, though we eventually hard
piped them with pvc so as not to tie up the hose or have it going across
the grass.

PSS: Raccoons get use to them or continue to test them till the batteries
run out or someone forgets to set it. So if you have them and they've fed
at your pond.... HOT WIRE. Raccoons will also TEAR nets to get fish, as
recently reported by a local ponder. Thus, if that is the problem, use
strong netting or screen if one doesn't want to hot wire.
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Hi

Thanks for that. At least I should not be troubled with raccoons here in UK.
I am still not convinced that I could position one to cover all appearances
of the heron.
A photo of my pond is at ---

http://www.geocities.com/thecanalsho...ys04032006.jpg

If I put one at one end - the thing could attack from behind or round the
side I reckon.

In your video the bird conveniently appears in the same place. Bit silly
really !

Convince me, or it is back to the (yet to be built) wire mesh frames idea
AYR.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com