Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Cloche type thingy

In message , George.com
writes

"Gopher" wrote in message
news Hello all,

Some may recall that on Gardeners World about 2 months or so ago,
Toby Wossisname made a type of cloche using flexible blue water
pipe to form the ribs of a very useful looking cloche - perfect for
raised beds such as I have for vegetable growing. I have acquired
the piping and have more than enough wood for the lower frame but
am finding it rather difficult to get hold of the strong plastic
cover. Ironically when we moved to our current home there was an
ageing poly tunnel which I sold to (ironically) the estate agent
through whom we bought the house.

Does anyone have an idea as to the gauge of plastic necessary for
such a job. I want to make 3 of these cloches and while the ground
is so wet I could get on with making them - if only I knew what to
buy in the way of plastic sheeting.

I also tried to review the programme through the BBC I-player but
it seems to be past its sell by date now. Any help or advice very
welcome.

Thanks.

snip

I made one but didn't bother with the wooden uprights up rights. I
simply hammered together some old 4 x 2 into a rectangle, put a cross
member at the middle of the rectangle, drilled holes either side to ran
the plastic hose pipe in to & bent the pipe over in a "U" shape. All
the bits cost me less than $10. Plastic was whatever I had lying
around, though it did deteriorate after 12-18 months. Not uv stable.

Now however, here is the stunningly clever bit on my part. I do not
bother with any fancy fastening system for the plastic. If I want to
secure the plastic to the plastic pipe I use some of these:
http://www.godfrey-diy.co.uk/ironmon...-large/item290
04300.html
Spring tool clips. I simply leave the plastic a bit baggy & clip it
down with the spring clip. I can clip the plastic to any position on
the pipes I want. Stunningly simple by clever. And I thought of it all
by myself.

rob

Excellent! And I don't have to swing through Auckland to pick them up.
Who said the age of invention was dead :-))

Thanks again!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!