Old 12-12-2008, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tenman tenman is offline

Default aos membership redux

Pat Brennan wrote:
I like the divorce analogy. It has been both sad and funny watching the
judges trying to recruit (bring back into the fold) commercial growers.
Carlos is as good a person as you will find anywhere and the AOS has been
lucky to have him, but it has not been change, just more of the same. Over
the last year or so the 'NO AOS Judging' signs have started appearing on the
east coast

I posed a question last year that I received scant answer to, and
perhaps now is a good time to revisit it. While I am personally
'divorced' from the AOS, as president of my local AOS-affiliated society
I try to focus on what's best for the society and not let my own
personal feelings influence society policy. So I'm looking for empirical
information about the issue.

Are local orchid societies able to have shows as successful (as many
vendors, as much attendance and the same bottom line financially
without AOS involvement? I have considered the options for my own local
society. I know the majority of our members are newer growers and not
only don't belong to or owe any loyalty to the AOS, they are only dimly
aware of what it is and would feel no loss at all if we were to drop AOS
involvement. In hard times, when AOS membership, judges' luncheons and
gift coupons, donations to judging centers, Orchids, AQ, etc, add a
substantial figure to the society's limited budget, it is fair game to
wonder if it's all necessary or beneficial. I just wonder if one can get
as many vendors and as many other society exhibits as currently with the
AOS-judged show.

Anybody know?