Old 13-12-2008, 06:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Key lime seedlings...transferring

On Dec 12, 7:47*pm, danny22
wrote:

They are about 2 months old now and several inches high. They are still
living in the propagator. When would it be reasonable to move them from
their current location? I have root trainers to put them into, but I am
very conscious of the time of year and the dangers associated with
transplanting. I am just worried that by the time spring comes around
(end of April over here by the time frosts pass) They will have gotten
all of their roots tangled. Any suggestions?

Gradually acclimatise the seedlings to conditions outside the
propagator, but don't transplant them just yet. The roots will not
become inextricably entangled in just a few months - they are too slow
growing for that. The seedlings need maximum light, moderate
temperatures (not less than 10C/50F) and careful watering. When day
lengths start to increase noticeably (around Feb.) you can move them
to root-trainers and they will need careful watering for a month or
two until the roots start to grow. After that just move them on as
necessary, although most Citrus appear to do better if kept very
slightly root bound especially in the early stages so don't be in too
much of a hurry to get them into large pots.

Rusty, the 'Key lime' (Citrus aurantifolia) is a species of Citrus
that has small, rounded fruits with a very sharp flavour and ripens
yellow. It is a large, thorny shrub or small tree that can flower and
fruit throughout the year is conditions allow. Once picked, the
fruits start to ripen so they have a shorter shelf life than the
commercially grown 'Bearss Lime'. These are most commonly seen UK
shops since they have better keeping qualities and larger, thicker
skinned fruits that aren't as acidic or strongly flavoured as the 'Key
lime'. From a commercial perspective they are favoured because of
their more reliable cropping, relatively thornless growth and few if
any seeds.