Old 13-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Janet Conroy Janet Conroy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksson View Post
Can anyone tell me how much submersion a mature Oak might be able to take without undue side effects?
Basically I have an Oak that dips it's 'toes' into a stream.
This stream may soon have it's levels raised, and this will put about 1/2 of the base of the Oak (it comes out of the bank at an angle) in permanent submersion. How will the tree lilely to be affected.
Thanks in advance.
I think it will be very unhappy - it can take a fairly high water level, but not permanent waterlogging. It could, however, depend on where its roots go - if there are lots going into the bank above the likely water level, it might survive. I'd collect some acorns from it next Autumn and start again.