Old 13-12-2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default drowning an Oak tree

On 12/13/2008 6:20 AM, marksson wrote:
Can anyone tell me how much submersion a mature Oak might be able to
take without undue side effects?
Basically I have an Oak that dips it's 'toes' into a stream.
This stream may soon have it's levels raised, and this will put about
1/2 of the base of the Oak (it comes out of the bank at an angle) in
permanent submersion. How will the tree lilely to be affected.
Thanks in advance.

This depends on the species of oak. Western oaks (especially those from
California) will likely be killed by this. Some other oaks grow well
even in swamps.

Where are you? If this is a native (not planted) oak in California,
raising the stream level to the point of endangering the tree might be
illegal.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean