Old 14-12-2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default drowning an Oak tree

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:20:26 +0000, marksson
wrote:

Can anyone tell me how much submersion a mature Oak might be able to
take without undue side effects?
Basically I have an Oak that dips it's 'toes' into a stream.
This stream may soon have it's levels raised, and this will put about
1/2 of the base of the Oak (it comes out of the bank at an angle) in
permanent submersion. How will the tree lilely to be affected.
Thanks in advance.

You never know, time will tell. Drastic changes to environment will
undoubtedly put extra stress on a tree. An established tree can take
more of a beating. Also, there are various kinds of oak so it would
be helpful to identify the oak type (red, white, etc.)